Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Memory Lame


by Wade Murff

I remember very clearly how I spent my entire winter break completing the application process for over a dozen law schools. It can be a tedious affair, for the information you provide in your application must include full disclosure of your triumphant-yet-checkered past and the embellishment gently massaged into your personal statement had better accompany at least a wide brushstroke of the truth. Failure to provide a legitimate representation of yourself may land you in hot water when you apply to sit for the bar exam and the supervisory authority finds a discrepancy in your past and decides to investigate.

I remember receiving my first acceptance letter. "Whew!" I sighed. "Well, at least I know I am in somewhere!" To my astonishment, the acceptance letters just kept coming. During a 3-day period the "big envelopes" were shooting into my mailbox like sniper fire. One day I had to run for cover to avoid being hit by incoming acceptance letters.

Wait a tick! You mean to tell me that I have received only a couple of acceptance letters, several rejection letters, and that my mail was never actually shooting into my mailbox like sniper fire? Oh, the humanity! Well, okay then. I must have made a mistake in talking about it. I guess I just have a different memory about the affair. It's just that I worked so hard for the last four years and put a lot of time into my applications and I wanted to be viewed as a great candidate for the position to which I aspire. So I made a mistake. That happens. It proves I'm human, which, you know, for some people, is a revelation. (click hyperlink)

No comments: